Your home is where you feel safe, secure, and at peace. In recent months, it’s been your sanctuary in an uncertain world. One way to keep stress and anxiety out of your safe haven is to allow more positivity to come in. Consider these six creative options:
- Let the sun shine in. Open your blinds, draw back your curtains, and let as much natural light into your home as possible. You may also want to clean your windows or remove items that prevent light from entering a room.
- Declutter your home. A clean, clutter-free space will give you a sense of peace and calm — and even make you feel more energized. You might start your decluttering efforts in commonly used areas such as the kitchen table, kitchen counters, or nightstands. Once these areas are free of clutter, you may find the perfect spot for a vase of flowers.
- Add a pleasant scent. Multiple studies have shown that aromatherapy contributes to making people feel happier.1 You can instantly invite positive energy into your home with a candle or essential oil diffuser. Lavender, rosemary, tangerine, and jasmine are among the many calming aromas available. Just find the scent you enjoy and use it regularly.
- Touch up a room with color. Adding a pop of color instantly makes a room feel brighter and more energetic. In fact, color is scientifically proven to influence your mood.2
- Decorate with “inspiration.” Your home is an extension of you, so decorate it with thoughts and images that make you happy. Use inspirational images or quotes that reflect who you are or what you represent. Decorate with family pictures or heirlooms to add a sense of who you represent.
- Play uplifting music. Another way to add positivity to your home is to turn on soft background music, especially upbeat instrumentals. Or if you’re ready to get busy cleaning or working on a craft or project, crank up motivating music that will get you moving.
Your home can be anything you make it — no matter what’s going on in the world outside. These tips can help you create a more uplifting, positive environment in your home with little effort or expense.